TMJ & Sleep Apnea therapy
Dr. Jack I. Cherin, D.M.D.
Our TMJ and Sleep Therapy Practice
For more than 40 years Dr. Cherin has provided care and treatment for patients suffering from TMJ problems and craniofacial problems. Additionally, for more than 20 years, he has had a special interest in those patients suffering from snoring, sleep apnea and sleep-disordered breathing. He carefully follows the guidelines for diagnosis and treatment as outlined in the handbook of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain. He uses all conservative treatment modalities that are available and outlined in this guidebook as standard procedures. Thorough diagnosis of the problem is made before any treatment is initiated with our state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment such as computerized tomography, joint vibration analysis and upper airway computerized measurements and careful physical evaluation. We seek to eliminate the pain conservatively before initiating any finalized treatment, although the full range of phase 2 treatment modalities is available in our office.
Dr. Cherin's special interest for many years has been in the areas of
He regularly attends at least 4 major symposia each year and participates in 50 hours of continuing education each year so he is up-to-date on all of the latest techniques and treatments available.
- He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Craniofacial Pain which requires extensive written testing and defense of 3 treated cases, in addition to more than 500 hours of continuing education. Prerequisite is attaining Fellowship for the Craniofacial Academy.
- He is a Diplomate of the Academy of Pain Management, which requires extensive testing.
- He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain which requires extensive testing and 500 hours of continuing education and defense of at least 4 cases.
- He is a Fellow in the Pierre Fauchard Academy - an honor society in dentistry.
- His memberships include:
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
- American Board of Craniofacial Pain
- American Equilibration Society
- Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Virginia Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Society of Functional Orthodontics
- He is also a fellow in the Academy of General Dentistry; a level which is attained by only about 5% of practicing dentists.
Dr. Cherin has lectured to lay groups, dental study groups and dental meetings. For the past 12 years, he has been a director on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain and has been the author of the Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct and been on the Ethics Committee. For the past 20 years he had been on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain and was the author and Committee Chairman of the Code of Ethics Committee until recently. He is Editor of the newsletter and is Associate Editor of the Journal. He was also Coeditor of the Policy and Procedures manual.
Dr. Cherin is a general dentist.